It’s a big deal asking someone to marry you! It’s always going to make you nervous. Even if you’re really sure that the answer is going to be yes! Becoming engaged to be married is a monumental step for both of you, filled with both terror and delight. And that’s what’s wonderful about it. You want a story you can tell at your rehearsal dinner or in your. You want your reasons for marrying at the heart of your and your . When things set themselves in our psyches, we want only good memories, so we want to reduce those cringe-worthy moments.
You can reduce the terror quotient, leaving a lot more room for delight if you just make a Few Important Preparations:
- Review: Go back and look at everything you’ve done up until now. You’ve made the decision to propose. You’ve gained clarity about why you’re asking your beloved to share your life. You know what you’re going to do with a ring. you’ve chosen the venue, the activity and the perfect time. Check!
- Gather the props: What do you need to take along to make this happen? At the very least you need the ring (or the ring substitute). You may want wine, candles and flowers. If you’re going on a picnic, you want to get that stuff organized as well. This is not a bad time to make a list. You’ve got a lot on your mind!
- Practice your lines: Know what you’re going to say. You really want to ask your beloved to marry you. What’s the phrase you’re going to use? I can promise you you’re going to be nervous enough to draw a blank. You want her to be able to say “Yes!” To do that, you have to ask the question. Make it your version, but get the phrase down!
- Practice your breathing: Yep, you’re going to be nervous. That’s ok! The thing we forget to do is exhale. Inhale is automatic. Whew. Stay focused and centered!
- Set the stage: When it’s time to go, gather everything up, spread it out, and go pick up your girl! (Remember, you’re going to want to be in one car!)
Once you’ve got it organized, you’re almost home free! Don’t forget while you’re doing this to revel in the excitement and the tiny bit of uncertainty. It’s going to make it all the sweeter when she says yes!